The book and group discussion questions: God’s Patient Pursuit of My Soul
Author: Chris Manion
Publisher: Redemption Press
Release Date: January 2017
Tags: pursuit, memoir, spirituality, business memoir, entrepreneur, spiritual journey, how to succeed in business, personal relationship with Jesus, friend of Jesus, contemplative journey, contemplation, ways to find God, seeking God, how to know God, search for God, Catholic spirituality, meditation, pursuing holiness, godliness, Holy Spirit encounter, awakening heart, spiritual gifts, spiritual senses, discernment, Christian business, contemplative prayer, contemplative retreat, Christian journey of faith, transformation, scared of God’s power, talking to God, colliquy, spiritual gift of knowledge, gift of tears, intuition of truth, how to pray better, personal act of faith, mystical practice, mystic, open heart, choosing God’s will, spiritual surrender, discipleship.
“This is a wonderful book.” Gail Fitzpatrick, Executive Director, Contemplative Outreach LTD.
Book Discussion Questions
Choose two or three for a book discussion group or a faith sharing series.
- What is your favorite way to pray right now and why?
- Where do you like to go to be alone with God?
- Often we refuse to follow the call of God. There are times we don’t realize it is God who is calling. Other times, we hear and know, but resist the path God places before us. What resistance comes to mind about your path or calling?
- What lesson did you learn from a time when you felt loneliness and pain?
- Describe a time when you felt the Presence of God.
- Being prayed over, the author felt the Holy Spirit rush upon her and steeled her will against Him because she was uncomfortable and unsure of the sensation. Was there a time in your life when you felt God trying to get in and you pushed Him away? Or when you felt God moving you in a certain direction and you fought against Him?
- The fear of discipleship was one of Chris’s barriers to intimacy with God. What makes you afraid of drawing closer to God in a more intimate relationship?
- What challenges do you face as you try to find a balance between daily work and prayer?
- Chris mentions different prayer tools that helped her on her journey including centering prayer, healing prayer services, lectio divina (or sacred reading), the Jesus prayer, active prayer, guard of the heart, the sacrament of the present moment, Thomas Merton’s prayer, and retreats. Which would you like to try and why?
- Where do you wish God would help you in your life right now? Ask the group to pray for you in this matter.
- Describe a retreat experience that was memorable for you and how it affected your heart. Do you feel God calling you away for some reflective time on a retreat?
- As you look back over key events in your life, how did God use events to pull you closer to Himself?
- Have you experienced spiritual fruits of Centering Prayer? Describe the change(s) you’ve noticed through the grace of God.
- Have you tried Centering Prayer?
- What metaphor(s) was helpful to you? Can you think of one that would apply to your life right now?
- Gifts received should be acknowledged. Name a gift God gave you (trait, quality, skill) for which you are grateful.
- Who has been an encourager to you in your faith development and why?
- What does Christ consciousness mean to you?